Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Anatomy of a scam:

Last year my AOL account was hacked.  My contacts were stripped out and I was disabled from receiving an inbound emails.  Meanwhile, the scammer sent the email below to all my contacts.  One of them, a dear friend in Korea, responded and was given the instructions in the last of these emails for wiring funds to "me."  This is a cautionary tale for all of us.  (And, by the way, I am now using gmail.)

From: Dr. Jim Castagnera <castagnerac@aol.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM
To: heungsim@gmail.com

Hello,
Sorry to bother you with this. I am presently in Greece with my ill Cousin. She's suffering from a Kidney disease (Cystinuria) and must undergo surgery to save her life, The doctor advised that the infected kidney needs to be removed on time to avoid further complication. I am deeply sorry for not writing or calling you before leaving, the news of her illness arrived to me as an emergency and that she needs family support to keep her going, I hope you understand my plight and pardon me.

The surgery is very cheap here in Greece and I am wondering if you can be of any assistance to me, I need the sum of $1,400 to complete the necessary arrangement, My credit card didn't work here in Greece and I traveled with little money due to the short time I had to prepare for this trip and never expected things to be the way it is right now. I will pay you back once I return, The surgery needs to be done as soon as possible because she is going through pains at the moment and the doctor have advised that she has to be operated on time to avoid complications. I will appreciate whatever amount you can come up with if not all. Please let me know.
Thanks
Dr. Jim Castagnera
Managing Director
K&C Human Resource Enterprises
334 Stanley Avenue
Havertown, PA 19083

----------
From: heung sim <heungsim@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM
To: castargnerac@aol.com

Dear James,
I am sorry to hear about her pains and your plights. Please let me know how I can send some money to you.
Take care!
Yours, Heung Soo
2014. 9. 3. 오후 6:30에 "Dr. Jim Castagnera" <castagnerac@aol.com>님이 작성:

----------
From: Dr. Jim Castagnera <castargnerac@aol.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM
To: heungsim@gmail.com

Thank you for your help,
You will transfer it through Western Union Money Transfer outlet using the details below:

Name: James Ottavio Castagnera
Address:11 Menekratous Street
Athens 116 36
Country: Greece

Kindly write me back once you have it sent and include the money transfer confirmation number (Mtcn), agent address and other details on the receipt.

I look forward to your soonest reply

Thanks,
Dr. Jim Castagnera

Managing Director
K&C Human Resource Enterprises
334 Stanley Avenue
Havertown, PA 19083

No comments:

Post a Comment