Friday, May 8, 2015

Baruch College declares a three-year ban on Greek rushing and pledging in the wake of a pledge's death and subsequent wrongful-death suit.

The student reportedly died in the dead of winter in the Pocono Mountains after being required to heft a heavy bag of sand in snowy conditions.  The local prosecutor declared the death a homicide.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/05/08/new-york-college-announces-three-year-ban-on-greek-rushing-and-pledging/

When will they ever learn?  When I pledged the Pennsylvania Eta Chapter of Phi Kappa Psi at Franklin and Marshall College in 1966, hazing was in full flame.  My pledge class was served shots of vodka and protein tablets (yeh, we were a jock house of sorts) while doing push ups until we puked.  


I got my nose broken.  Here's how: Remember, the Vietnam War was also in full flame.  So, the brothers carved a hole in an onion and placed it on the living room floor.  I was made to lie down on my belly with my nose in the onion.  With my arms twirling above me behind my back I (of the Italian name) was made to be a helicopter, shouting, "Wop, wop, wop, wop."  Then I got Bombed by a leather sofa cushion.  Thus the broken nose which, never reset, is crooked to this day.

Then there was joke night, when, nude, each of us in turn had to sit on a block of ice and tell jokes until the brothers laughed.

And so it went...  Hell Weekend is a whole other entry in its own right.

I think I would have preferred the Delta brother's version of pledging in "Animal House." Well, actually there was a lot of that too at Phi Psi.

I certainly can understand the Baruch administration's reaction to the terrible tragedy.  Unfortunately, what I expect will happened there will be a close approximation of what happened at F&M some years after I graduated, when a new president withdrew official recognition of the 10 or so frats at my alma mater:  they went underground.  Any semblance of control claimed by the administration went forfeit.  A three-year hiatus on pledging is tantamount to disbanding the Greeks at Baruch.  Guess what... they ain't gonna let that happen.  Just you wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment