Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A University of Florida fraternity has been closed following investigation of members' abuse of wounded vets.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20150428/ARTICLES/150429648

Apparently, not all the terrorists these veterans had to face were in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I remember the early seventies, when going to a high school to recruit for the Coast Guard Academy entailed the daily possibility of verbal abuse.  

Young Americans have always stepped up ---voluntarily or reluctantly, as the case may be --- to serve and suffer in the (sometimes ill-conceived, sometimes greedily motivated) wars of their leaders... while others (me included in the sixties) enjoyed the privileges of college/fraternity life.

Nobody ever said life was fair, right?

But for privileged young snots to abuse their contemporaries who have served and suffered is one of the lowest, meanest things I can conceive of... and I can conceive of a lot.

Sad, too, to see yet another Greek scandal.  An alumnus of a Animal House myself, I know how tawdry frat life can get.  I recall some incidents with personal shame.  But never anything so shameful as this story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment