Friday, June 5, 2015

An understatement, if ever there was.

NCAA concludes that UNC lacked "institutional control" over its athletic program.
http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/chapel-hill-lacked-institutional-control-over-athletics-ncaa-says/100173?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en
So, when your people are running phantom courses to keep your athletes in compliance, I guess that's either ignorance or complicity... incompetence or culpability.  Isn't that so?

I'm not so naive as to think that "the good old days" of sport were pristine.  But I do recall a column by Dick Feegler of the defunct Cleveland Press, back in the 90s, when even then --- having visited the New York Yankees' Manhattan cribs while covering the World Series.  Feegler remembered when he was a boy in Cleveland and the great Indians pitcher Early Winn walked home from the ballpark and tossed a cracked bat or a couple balls through Feegler's open bedroom window on a summer night.

I myself have written about Byron "Lord" Nelson of golf:
http://terrortrials.blogspot.com/2013/09/to-athlete-dying-old.html

And I can clearly remember my college days at Franklin & Marshall, when all the big names in music passed through little 'ol Lancaster and performed in our gym for $5.00 a ticket.  I'm talking the likes of Jefferson AIrplane, the Beach Boys, the Tops and the Temps, James Brown and the Spoonful and Simon & Garfunkel.

These were the days when the money wasn't so big that it corrupted even the the best of the best.

The big bucks in entertainment don't bother me much.  I won't pay a poor man's week's earnings for a concert or a ballgame.  If you want to, that's your business.

But I do get irked when I read about members of our higher ed community stooping to the depths that I read about in the story above... or the Sandusky affair, lest we forget too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment